HOW TO BE JOB READY?
There are some films and tv-shows that get as relevent and relatable as we age. From “Friends” to the film above, We are gradually transitioning from a Casual to a Professional Phase in our lives.
The Ever-changing cues of technology ,coupled with COVID-19,have brought us into a situation ,where we need to stay conscious about for every job opportunity, tools and methods that may increase our chances of getting hired.
Therefore, I would like to provide a few tips and necessary steps, that would improve your chances of getting hired.
ARE YOU READY!
While there are some specific skills such as Coding, Designing ,Cooking, etc. that require deliberate practice and in -depth knowledge ,in order to attain a better job. There are other skills that are accepted universally. These are required by every organization and are known as Job Readiness Skills.
These are the Employability skills are that encompass such as good work ethics/attitudes, work experience, resume writing, interview techniques, and job search methods, so that the participant can find success while searching for employment.
Now, I would like to mention the Actionable steps that may assist you in getting your next job!
FOR WRITING RESUMES:
In order to write an attractive resume, One must ensure the following pointers are followed:
1. Basic formatting:
The key rule is to keep things simple when it comes to format, and ensure that your resume is highly readable. That includes things like:
- Formatting your resume as a .pdf .
- Using black text, and keep the font and size clean, simple, and consistent.
- Checking for typos and errors. (IMPORTANT)
- Using bullet points. ( Do not include long lines of descriptive text. Put yourself in the place of a human resume-reviewer, who is likely reading dozens of resumes at a time).
- Ensure that your Name and Email address is prominent.
“A crisp, focused resume demonstrates an ability to synthesize, prioritize, and convey the most important information about you.”
Ideally, A Resume should consist of only One page.
Substance definitely matters more than style. A simple, traditional, perfectly formatted resume is better than something creative that’s tough to read.
“Unless you’re applying for a job such as a designer or artist, your focus should be on making your resume clean and legible.”
Honesty is always the best policy. If you feel like there’s part of your background that’s not quite up to snuff, your best bet is to stay truthful and honest.
5. What to Include:
CONTACT DETAILS: Apart from the usual details like Name, Phone number, Email id, you can also add your Linked-in ID .
PROFESSIONAL DESCRIPTION: Keep your summary within 2–3 lines and sprinkle ample of keywords relevent to your industry and the job description.
EDUCATION: It would be systematic, if you can add the details of your education in reverse chronological order.(i.e- The latest degree and educational certificates should be mentioned first and the older ones at the end)
WORK EXPERIENCE: In the Work Experience section, One can mention Name of company , Time period and all the responsibilities that were held by the person.
SKILLS: Add all the relevent skills that you feel confident about and are appropriate to the job you have applied .
ACHIEVEMENTS: In this section, You can add all the details about your achievements related to your previous jobs, college and schools.
EXTRA-CURRICULARS- You can add activities such as your Hobbies, Your Any internships and NGOs with which you worked , or any other activities in which you participated throughout your school and college life.
6. What not to include:
Any unnecessary details that might take extra space and any unprofessional details that might affect your chances of getting hired.
PREPARING FOR INTERVIEWS:
Taking sufficient time to prepare for interviews can help you secure a job.
TIPS TO GET READY FOR INTERVIEW
- Research about the Company and analyze the Job Description clearly.
- Make a list of all the skills required for the job and match them with your capabilities.
- Practice Your Interview answers and prepare yourself till you get fully clear about them.
- Prepare the documents such resume, IDs and any other certifications required for your interview.
- For your Appearance, Prepare your Grooming and Clothing and make sure they adhere to the company’s environment.
- Check Your Posture and become aware of your non verbal cues and gestures , by giving mock interviews.
- Listen Clearly and Pay Attention to question and Pause before answering each question. “ A Pause before answer is far better than using filler words such as ahs and ums.”
- Pay Attention and Clearly state your answers without any hesitation.
With these steps and tips, I hope you are able to become job ready and confident enough to crack that next job!
ALL THE BEST :) !
P.S- I have included few resources that I consider helpful and can assist in improving your job readiness.
6 Smart Ways to Cut Your Resume Down to One Page
You know you're supposed to have a one-page resume. No matter how much you want to cling to your two-pager, we both…